This easy recipe for gluten free pesto pasta salad is a delicious summer side dish. It is a cold Italian pasta salad that uses creamy basil pesto. This healthy salad includes arugula, Cannellini beans and walnuts.
This is one of my favorite summer lunches! If you want more protein than just the beans you can add tuna fish, canned sardines or chicken breast.
- Gluten Free Elbow Pasta
- Basil Pesto
- Cannellini Beans
- Baby Arugula
- Parmesan Cheese
- Sea Salt
- Coarse Ground Black Pepper
Can you use pesto straight from the jar?
Yes, you can use pesto cold right out of the refrigerator straight from the jar or if it's a shelf stable pesto right from the cupboard and out of the jar. You will want to stir the pesto if any oil has risen to the top.
- Elbow Noodles - you can use any gluten free pasta in this salad. I like the size of the elbow noodles, but penne, rotini or shells would also work nicely.
- Basil Pesto - I love the flavor of basil pesto and find it easy to purchase at my local grocery story. However, you can use whatever basil you would like.
- Walnuts - you could omit the walnuts for a nut free version of this salad, but I like the crunch they add.
- Baby Arugula - you can replace this with spinach if you like.
Is basil pesto gluten free?
There are several store bought basil pestos you can purchase. I haven't seen any that state they are gluten free, but the ingredients don't include anything that contains gluten. This of course doesn't eliminate the possibility of cross contamination. I haven't had any issues using Barilla Rustic Basil Pesto Sauce.
You can store this salad in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an air tight container. If the salad gets dry add 1 teaspoon of olive oil or a bit more pesto if you have it.Print
This easy recipe for gluten free pesto pasta salad is a delicious summer side dish. It is a cold Italian pasta salad that uses creamy basil pesto. This healthy salad includes arugula, cannellini beans and walnuts.
Cook the past per the instructions on the package. Drain and rinse in cold water.
In a large serving bowl add the pasta, pesto, beans, arugula, cheese, salt, pepper and walnuts. Stir to combine.
Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Side Dish, Salads
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
Keywords: cold, healthy, easy, creamy, simple, summer, best, Italian pasta salad, basil, arugula, lunch, meals, side dish